Saturday, June 21, 2008

Name-dropping: The cast of Midlife: The Crisis Musical

Dave Arisco asked me to shoot some promo pix for his upcoming production of MIDLIFE: The Crisis Musical. I've taken a few pictures for him in the last year, and I always enjoy it. He always feels a little guilty about asking for the favor, but it gives me the opportunity to work on this kind of shot. And I've really learned a lot since the first set I did for him. I'm a much better photographer for it.

This time, I knew just about everyone in the cast, so I was really looking forward to the shoot.

Wayne Steadman and I actually appeared in a few shows together; he was El Gallo to my Bellamy in The Fantasticks at the old Actors' Rep. We were directed by Nancy Barnett, now General Manager at Florida Stage. The only other name from that production that you would know is Craig Ames, the musical director. Craig is still one of the area's best MDs. 20-some years later, Wayne is just now starting to get the recognition he deserves. Kudos, Wayne.

I first worked with Lourelene when I went on as an understudy in Minnie's Boy's at the old Florida Rep (not the new one in Fort Myers). She gave me one of my best reviews ever: during my scene as a Texas theater owner recruiting the Marx Brothers, Lourelene commented to the stage manager that "it's nice to finally see a Texan up there instead of a gay chorus boy!"

Margot Moreland and I first met at the Burt Reynolds Jupiter Theatre. She's threatened me with bodily harm if I ever mention how long ago that was, but she was an intern. Few of her classmates have gone as far as she has in theatre.

DSC_3271b
Clockwise from Top Right: Margot Moreland, Maribeth Graham,
Wayne Steadman, Alan Baker, Lourelene Snedker, and Barry Tarallo.


I met Barry at Actors' Playhouse, and I met Maribeth through Barry. But I know so many people who know Maribeth that sometimes I feel like I know her even though we've only bumped into each other a few times over the years.

Alan Baker is the newest acquaintance: I met him when he came in to do Urinetown last year. He finally got around to the little 'greasy spoon' restaurant I recommended to him then. "What a great place! I'm going to be in there a lot! Thanks!"

Midlife: The Crisis Musical is the kind of show that David Arisco is best at. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out. If it's even half as good as Five Course Love or I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change!, it will be a great night out.

MIDLIFE: The Crisis Musical opens on July 9th and runs through August 10th in the Miracle Theater's intimate Balcony Theatre. See the Actors' Playhouse website for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment